Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Star Spangled Banner

When my kids were in grade school I realized that they didn't know how to sing the National Anthem. I wrote the lyrics on poster board and taught them. The only problem was that I was a lousy singer. When a sporting event came on TV I would call them into the room to show them how it should be sung.
There is a National Anthem Project now because they found that a large percentage of Americans don't know how to sing it. Why isn't it taught more in school?
The NFL requires the song to be prerecorded for the Superbowl. Everybody lip-synchs it. Perfection over integrity.
Youtube is great because you can see lots of great singers singing it. This is one of my favorites by the Dixie Chicks.
This is Bjork. I'm not sure about her yet. My workroom is strewn with rejected bodies. Molly is taking life drawing. I'm jealous.

No comments: