Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day of the Dead Authors


I spent a large part of the day on this.
I read that J.D. Salinger died today. I suppose he was able to live on the royalties of his tiny output of books. That's impressive. I read he wrote, just didn't publish.
Harper Lee never wrote another book after"To Kill a Mockingbird". She's still alive. She didn't write a book before that, either. The book was expanded from a magazine piece that she had written. Truman Capote, her best friend, helped. He was Dill in the book. It was semi autobiographical.
After that she helped him with the research for"In Cold Blood". You see her character in the two movies made a couple of years ago about it.
Capote estranged all of his society and Hollywood friends in the last few years of his life. He was an addict with a sharp, bitchy tongue and a poison pen. He wrote a book about his friends and they dropped him. One of the things he said was that he had written"To Kill a Mockingbird". No one believes it because he was such a dick.
I wouldn't totally discount what he said, though. I'm intrigued.

No comments: