Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Athens


The Parthenon took my breath away.
The first picture is a view of the Parthenon and Acropolis from our hotel. The next morning Jim and I said goodbye and thank you to Giorgios. With map in hand we set off for the subway to the Parthenon, remembering Giorgios' admonition,"Al Capone", which Ilias translated as meaning that Athens is full of thieves. Be careful.

The Parthenon has stood for two thousand five hundred years. It was in fair shape for two thousand years until it was used as an ammunition dump by the Turks and exploded by the Venetians in 1687.
In 1806 the Earl of Elgin vandalized it and sent several sculptural parts to England where they reside to this day.(yeah, I know there's more to it, but I think they should give them back to Greece) I could go on and on, but I won't.
All I can say is that the Parthenon was the perfect ending to a most marvelous trip.

No comments: