Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Home of the Gods


The first picture is of the sun setting over Mt. Olympus. I took it from the beach house on Kassandra. I was thrilled when Ilias pointed it out to me. When I was a girl I was really into Greek mythology.
Giorgos drove us five hundred miles from Thessaloniki to Athens. He averaged over a hundred miles an hour. I'm not used to that. No conversation, since we didn't speak Greek, but I saw the signs that said Mt. Olympus. I said,"Oh! Mt. Olympus!" Giorgos nodded and he took the next exit and we zig zagged up the mountain to a small village. This is a picture from the village.We walked around and Giorgos drank from a pipe embedded in a rock and gestured that I do the same. I figured ,what the hell, I've eaten things with tentacles this week, water from Mt. Olympus sounds special. I'll take a chance. It was fine. More than fine. Wonderful.

No comments: